Monday 8 December 2014

Fictional Food Adventure: Little Update

I've been so busy and tired lately that my reading life has been rather uneventful. I got all tied up with craft fairs and a bit run down so I have sat down and made a proper list so I can see what's what. 

So far I've read 8 books (mostly shorter ones) and made 7 recipes. So I still have 15 books to read and 22 recipes to make before my next birthday at the end of August. Having not had time to bake or read lately, I'm wondering if I'm a bit behind? I'm not sure, but I know I need to read more than one book each month till then, plus my monthly reading group books, not to mention all the wonderful new books just waiting for me. 

There are books on this list that I was sure I owned but actually don't, like Little Women and Secret Garden, and others I definitely have never owned but obviously need to, like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Obviously I can borrow any books from the library at the drop of a hat, but these are all books that are well worth owning, so I have drawn up a shopping list and tried to work out the immediate priorities for what to read next. As this challenge spans a year, from August to August, I kind of want to experience some of these stories in the season they are set in. Particularly, I would like to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the lead up to Christmas, because Christmas is such a feature of it and one of the recipes is for Turkish Delight, which is a must have Christmas treat in our family. So I have got it down from the bookshelf and I'm about to get stuck in while I rest. Also, I'm thinking that if I get on with reading Pollyanna I can rope in my strong-stomached brother to help me with the calf's foot jelly recipe while he's staying at my Mum and Dad's over Christmas. I am a little sensitive to seeing body parts, but I think I can manage it with a bit of support. Knowing him, he'll probably wave it in my face or something, but what can you do, except yell ""Muuummmm!" 

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their reading at the moment. Do let me know what books are delighting you right now. 

Susie 

No comments:

Post a Comment