Friday 29 August 2014

Fictional Food Adventure - Reading Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking
by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking is one of those people that everyone has heard of, but, though I was familiar with her sticking-out-like-carrots orange pigtails and mismatched stockings, I had never ready any of the stories about her.

I do, however, have my own rather beautiful, hardback copy on one of my bookshelves and had dipped into the stories a little, while I browsed through the stylish, fun, pictures by Lauren Child. This, I confess, was the reason for buying the book in the first place, when this lavish, full-colour version was published several years ago. I love illustration, and I love beautifully printed and bound books as objects in their own right, so some of my purchasing choices are not based only on the story. Do I detect a few shocked gasps as you read that? Well, let me reassure you that I am an avid reader and I love good stories, so I am very delighted to be introduced to books I don't know,
and to give books a chance even if they passed me by the first time around.

It was lovely to get to know Pippi better, or Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstockingas is her full name.
Her antics never cease to amaze me and her flights of fancy and imagination are refreshingly bizarre. Her no-parent lifestyle is incredibly carefree and yet rather sad. I am left wondering what would become of a child like Pippi. What will make her happy in the future? How will she fit into the world around her and will she have to? But that is probably my grown-up head being too practical, and it's best to let go of that and embrace the
bizarreness, the flippancy and hilarity if you're to get the most out of a Pippi yarn. I love her fearlessness, in standing up to and making friends with burglars, and confronting and dealing with bullies. I love her lack of fuss and her ability to live in the moment and enjoy herself; to follow her whims and greet everyone in the same matter-of-fact Pippi way.

The most she ever thing about the future is her intention to become a pirate when she grows up. Although she is certainly brace enough, I think she is far too nice to make a successful pirate.

There are three recipes from Pippi Longstocking featured in 'Turkish Delight and Treasure Hunts,' so I'll work my way through them and let you know how they turn out.

We are visting friends for tea over the weekend so it's a perfect excuse to make the big cream cake that Pippi devours. I've been to get the buttermilk and all the other ingredients so I'm all set.

Bring on the whipped cream!







No comments:

Post a Comment